Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Guilt Quilt, part I

Meet the Guilt Quilt.  I made it for my mom to replace the first one, which she literally loved to pieces.  This was her Christmas gift.


My brother Taylor and I nicknamed it The Guilt Quilt because at the time it was given to our mother, she had made quilts for just about every person she ever met--and two for Taylor--but none for me!   The joke went that perhaps she would feel guilty upon receiving it, and finally make a quilt for me.  For my birthday last month, I finally got my quilt, and she totally upstaged me!  But that is for another post.

Anyway, this quilt is a slightly updated take on a classic pattern called Flying Dutchman.  One of my favorite things about traditional patchwork is the history and significance of naming.  (It reminds me a bit of how people named and identified constellations: imaginatively, and with much creative license.)  The Flying Dutchman is a folktale detailed here and here, essentially about a ghost ship damned to sail the seas forever.  Each block represents the ship's eternal journey, or ocean waves I suppose.  Either way, it's a great geometric interpretation of folklore.


I used the folded flying geese technique to construct the blocks.  Each center pinwheel is edgestitched (using a Bernina #10 foot) to create a curved seam without curved piecing!  Because of the extra layers and because I used a home dec weight twill for the backing, this is a fairly heavy quilt.

The entire thing is free motion quilted, and I admit I cheated and used the Bernina Stitch Regulator.  I have mixed feelings about the BSR, but it came down to this: I needed to finish the quilt, it could not be quilted any way but free motion because of the dimensionality, and I did not have time to warm up every time I sat down to quilt!  The binding was finished by hand at 2am, followed by a quick rest, followed by the drive south to celebrate Christmas with my family.  I am a last-minute kind of person.


(Note awesomely bad bathroom paint job courtesy of a previous tenant!  At first appalling, it soon became a funny joke and is now the first thing we show guests: Come look at the bathroom, you won't believe it!)

6 comments:

  1. Great quilt with a great story :). Can't wait to see how your mother upstaged you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment over on my blog! I just got the Aurora 440QE. I <3 it.

    I can't for the life of me figure how you used dear old #10 for those faux curved seams but it's AMAZING! Wishing so much that there was a #10esque attachment for the walking foot, so it could be used more for quilting (did you use yours for quilting? did you have any issue with the sandwitch shifting?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilt..and you did a great job on the quilting. Those curved pieces and the free triangles add a lot of extra interest to the quilt.
    If your Mom upstaged you...it boggles the mind what she must have come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! Courtney: I have a 440 too! You can kind of see on the un-curved triangles, there is sort of a flap. I folded it over (it's a bias edge which is why it curves so nicely!) and edgestitched with the #10 and the needle maybe 2 places to the left.

    And no, I haven't used the #10 to quilt yet, though other Bernina owners I know do. To avoid the layers shifting, try decreasing the presser foot pressure! I usually sew with it low so I can adjust the fabric under the foot as I am sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilt!...I too am fascinated by the names that are given to certain quilt patterns..log cabin, nine patch etc. I haven't made one yet but it is on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous quilt and funny story

    ReplyDelete

you might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails