Monday, October 11, 2010

a quilt for Elvie

Nobody would know the baby's sex until it arrived, but I was sure all along it would be a girl.  Jessica's water broke, we spoke on the phone while she was waiting for the contractions to really begin and I started on the quilt that night.  Here it is:


Jessica and I have been sewing together for years and independently, even longer.  So as much as I loved my little collection of Wonderland fabric with all its sewing imagery, I knew I had to make it into a quilt for Jessica's little one.  Elvie was born the next day, and the quilt was finished a few weeks later.


This quilt is responsible for helping me rediscover my love for embroidery.  I remember working on some of it while staying  in a hotel during our first visit to Knoxville; I love a sewing project that can travel easily!



I pieced the backing and binding from fat quarters I got at the Indiana Heritage Quilt Show.  For those who aren't familiar, this fabric is near impossible to find in person, so I was thrilled to discover that another vendor was selling bundles of it.


The quilting was done by machine: first in the ditch around the square, then outlined by about 3/8-1/2" inch.  With all the pivoting at corners, it was a great use of my Bernina Free Hand System (that knee-lift thinger)!


I've been waiting to write this one for a while, thinking perhaps I would write a pattern or organize a sew-along based on Elvie's quilt.  Obviously that didn't come together, but if anyone is interested, I'd happily write a tutorial!  The block is quick to construct, and the step where you make it crooked is very fun.  Exciting, even!  So how about it?


And finally, I made coordinating bibs for Elvie, thinking she wouldn't really need them until she started eating solid food.  I was very wrong!  Apparently, babies are DROOLY.  Who knew?

9 comments:

  1. Wow thats a gorgeous quilt!!! Love the off-kilter blocks :-) Elvie loves it I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yet another beautiful project (and i am in love with that red scissor fabric); there have been points in time when i've had to swear off embroidery for awhile so i could get other, more pressing, things done -- it's so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please post a tutorial...I LOVE this quilt...and please explain how to do the embroidery, that really makes it extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tutorial would be much appreciated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUP, we'd love a tutorial, this quilt is really gorgeous. It would even make a great quilt-a-long for beginners - it's fabulous - simple but striking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I will definitely post a tutorial on block construction and embroidery in the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt.It is gorgeous. I would love a tutorial. I love the crooked block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! It's got such playful look.

    ReplyDelete

you might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails